Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Carrying On

One of my favorite verses is: In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?  Psalm 118:5-6
What indeed?


As I was reading this verse this morning the part that really struck me was "he answered by setting me free." If I truly trust him, then I am free from fear. Free from loneliness; our Father is kind, faithful, and will give us comfort.  For this an active prayer life is essential.  And most importantly, we're free from sin through the grace of God. In this world we are certain to have trouble and painful circumstances like I'm facing right now. But our circumstances need not dictate our emotions.  Even in the face of incredible loss and tragedy, our Father will carry us through and give us peace that passes understanding.
Truly, we are just passing through this world, and this is our time to grow spiritually.  This world is a place where we prepare for our true life, in eternity.


Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. -James 1:2-4
I know that's a tall order.  But consider...if life were without trials, how would we grow and mature?  Like an infant determined to walk, we're bound to bonk our heads many a time.  But when we persevere in our faith, we grow.


One other thing I know: when the Lord closes one door, it's usually because he has a different one he's holding open for me.  I just need to search his word and pray to find his will.  As for this life:


Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap of store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?  And why do you worry about clothes?  See how the lilies of the field grow.  They do not labor of spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat? or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the pagans run after all these things and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.- 
Matthew 6:26-34

If we just keep putting one foot in front of the other, at the end of the road is home!
Wishing you all the blessings our Father has.

No comments:

Post a Comment