Sunday, February 5, 2012

God's Love

2-4-12

Good news! In my post on 1-31, I shared with you about Sue, who was critically ill.  She is now firmly on the road to recovery and will be out of the hospital in a week or two.  To lose her would have been to lose one whom I love and exemplifies God's love.  Thinking of her this morning brought this scripture to mind.

John 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

At first glance, this seems like a simple command, but to love others as Jesus loves us is a tall order.
In fact, I don't think we can on our own; I believe it's the Holy Spirit that lives within us that enables this type of love.  In Galatians 5:22 where the fruits of the Spirit are listed, love is first, then joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  In fact, we can use these fruits as a gauge of our spiritual walk.  Being human, we will always have our shortcomings, but His grace covers us when we realize our wrongs and repent of them.

When Jesus walked the earth He showed His love in so many ways.  All who came to Him and asked for healing were healed; He fed those who were hungry both spiritually and physically, and devoted His life to His lost sheep.  He humbled himself as a servant and washed the feet of His disciples.  He calls us to redemption and forgives our sins, just as God the Father forgave the sins of His nation Israel over and over in the Old Testament.

Father, help me love others the way you love me.




No comments:

Post a Comment