Monday, November 7, 2011

Okay, so I'm a little different...

How's this for weirdness... I'm probably one of the last few adults in America that does not have a cell phone.
This is by choice, although I may be changing my mind soon because there are a lot of times I would like to access the web while I'm not at home.
When I was 19, I took off on my own on an adventure.  I made a clean break with my family, or so I thought at the time.  I traveled by car up from northern CA to Reno, where I had lived at one time and have awesome memories of. As I traveled downstate, my car broke down and I started hitchhiking.  I wound up on the border of Mexico and with the last of my money rented a 2.00 a night hotel room.  Lucky for me, there was a carnival on the American side, and they hired me.  I traveled with them for three months, and I'd been gone for six when a very kind man convinced me that at least I should call my mother and let her know I was okay.  I did, and as it was getting pretty cold sleeping under the ride platforms at night, I went to my mom's for a few months before moving here, now twenty five years ago.
The whole point of this long story is that I truly enjoyed feeling somewhat like a ghost. I even changed my name on my driver's license.  You could do that then; I don't know about now.
But there are times that I like to escape.  Maybe just sit in a parking lot for a few hours and read and -poof- it's like being free again, though I'd never go away again.  I love my kids too much!
Anyway, that's one of the reasons I've never wanted to be instantly accessible to everyone.  Like I said, this now poses a bit of a problem because if I'm going to gone from home, I have no way of coming online.
You know, I could always just turn the thing off, but then people would say, "I've been trying to call you...grrrr."  Oh! I could always forget to charge it.
Anyway, all this to say I'm going to be away from home a few days.  But I will definitely be back!

1 comment:

  1. So I wound up getting a cell in February, 2012. Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought; I especially like having you tube all the time! Wishing you blessings,
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete