Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Living Water


Psalm 63:1

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you;

my soul thirsts for you, in a dry and weary land

where there is no water.

Our bodies can live for only a few days without water; we all know that it's vital to sustain our lives.

For many years I have had an illness that at times does not allow me to retain anything I take into my

stomach, even the smallest sip of water. After about 24 hours, I begin to crave it so intensely that I will

swish it in my mouth just for the taste of it. My lips begin to crack and I can think of almost nothing

else but the need for water. This is when I must return to the hospital and receive fluids in an IV.

The world we live in is a “dry and weary land” for our souls. In this world, just as surely as I need

water to sustain my body, I need spiritual water to sustain my soul. Jesus said in John 4:14, “but

whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him

a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” I know that when life gets hectic and I don't spend the

time drinking the spiritual water that comes from spending time with God through prayer, reading the

Word and worship, my soul begins to dehydrate as surely as my body does. Just as quickly, too.

Prayer: Father, please refresh my soul with the living water that only you can give. Help me this day

to listen to Your Spirit's promptings that I may bring You to others that they may drink as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment