Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Faith like a child

People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them.  When Jesus saw this, he was indignant.  He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."  And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. Mark 10:13-16

The faith of children is a beautiful sight to behold.  They don't question the truth of what they're told; they want details, perhaps- will my dog go to heaven?- but their belief is unquestioning.  Maybe that's why Jesus said "And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck." Mark 9:42

As we grow older, the more cynical we become.  We turn things over and over in our minds, wanting proof, wanting to see with our own eyes.

But blessed is the one who receives the kingdom like a child, with unwavering faith.

Remember the Roman Centurion who came to Jesus to ask for help?
"Lord," he said, "my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering." Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him." The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."
When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, " I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such faith." Matthew 8:8-10 Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go! It will be done just as you believed it would."  And his servant was healed at that very hour.

Faith is essential.  Because if we don't first believe, how can anything else happen?

Prayer: Father, help us to have the faith of a child.  Open up our hearts that we may wholeheartedly believe.
Grant us the kind of faith that believes that You will always love and be there for us, day and night, when we sleep and when we wake.  Help us share that faith with our families, friends and coworkers, that they may know the love You have for us.  In the name of Jesus. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment