Saturday, November 5, 2011

These OWS protests...

It's been too long since I've written anything.  I haven't been feeling well physically, but it's been more than that.
 Some of the things that have been going on at the OWS protests have upset me.  I know that there's a lot of anger out there; I'm angry myself at the way our country is going.  That's why I support the Tea Party.  Our country has problems, sure; we need less government, less restrictions, and we need to return to a sense of personal responsibility.  And we need a strong leader.
The protesters seem to be calling for a form of communism and we know from history that it's not the answer.

 But it was the picture of a man defecating on the American flag shook me to my soul.

I realize that it's only a symbol, but it's the symbol of the country I that I love. I felt such pride on a boat on the Sea of Galilee when they raised our flag and played our national anthem.  I still put my hand on my heart when I sing it.  I loved my time in Israel, but when our plane touched down in LA, I began to applaud, and soon most of my fellow passengers joined in.  Being in the middle east caused me to cherish my country even more, and I was glad to be home.
Then there was Oakland.  It was the large fire set in the middle of the street along with people breaking windows and spray painting on buildings is why the tear gas was deployed. Some in the media have made it appear that the police reacted in a way that was out of line, but it was turning into a riot.  Peaceful protest is one thing, rioting is another all together.  I think if this situation goes on much longer, I think that we're going to see more of it.  These demonstrations aren't changing anything; they don't even agree on what it is they want.  They have the right to march, peacefully gather, but I don't understand why these tent cities are being allowed to stand.  Women are being raped and told to keep quiet.  I can't support that.  I can't support mob rule.  When I listen to what they have to say, so much of it is in ignorance of reality.  Counter protest would only lead to more violence.  I think it's time for the cities to step in and enforce their ordinances about overnight camping in parks, etc., and I think it will lose it's steam.

All this is an excellent reason why we need to win young people to Christ.  The younger generation is lacking in meaning and direction.  They're searching for something, and the only thing that satisfies over the long term is a relationship with God.  I've been writing lately about Christians that are being persecuted and even killed for their faith.  Imagine if our youth-and many of them are, don't get me wrong- turned their hearts to evangelism instead of marching in the streets?  Then we would see something worthwhile accomplished.
We each of us have young people in our lives.  Let's get them involved.  Give them opportunity to talk to us, and listen to what they have to say.  Ask them, "Can I pray for you?"  Explain what we believe; that we have a Messiah that through his sacrifice on the cross, we have forgiveness for sin, and we can each of us be a new creation.  Invite them to go places with you and show them the love that comes from God.  Love speaks volumes.  And ask them to church.  You'd be surprised at how many times they will go.
They are crying out for love.  Let's give it to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment