Sunday, November 27, 2011

An Idea for Ministry

Hello Everyone, I'm back from spending Thanksgiving with my mom and step-dad. They're wonderful Christian people, and we spent the day before and Thanksgiving Day feeding the homeless a full dinner. We did it through a ministry that feeds people every Wednesday at a park where a lot of homeless people go. It was a great experience. First we sang, then a man who was once homeless and is now a pastor gave a short message. We also passed out "hygiene kits" to those who wanted them, which I thought was a great idea. It's just a ziplock bag with a washcloth, toothbrush and paste, shampoo, soap, and a couple other items along with a few snacks and a drink. It was a great conversation starter, and as we gave them out we asked if they needed prayer. Many did, and we prayed with them right then and there for whatever their most pressing needs were. We also had warm clothing, scarves and blankets. I got to pray with several people and one I talked with at length about his heroin addiction. He had previously been clean eight years and a believer. I should restate that. He still believes, it's his walk he's having trouble with. We also took some boxed lunches that we made by assembly line and drove up and down the streets giving out meals to people who looked like they could use them.
What a great way to minister, I thought. I took some of the bags with me and gave them away downtown before I even got home. I have to say that it was such a blessing to me to be able to help in a concrete way without worrying that the money I'm giving someone will just go to further their addiction. And, like I said, it's a good way to start a conversation about our Lord, which is the main mission in all of this. I'm going to talk to my church about setting up a ministry like this. I'm sure if we put a box in the foyer with a list of what we need, people would donate. Then we could go out in pairs on the street or in a group at one of the parks. I don't recommend interacting by one's self for safety's sake. I'm so excited I can't wait to start! I'll let you all know what happens with this from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment