Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Defining Moment

What an incredible time it's been since I last wrote!  
Last Wednesday I traveled from my home in southern California to my son and daughter-in-law's home here in Nevada.  She was just about due to give birth to their son and was showing signs of going into labor.  I was so afraid I wouldn't make it in time to be there to support them and be there for the birth!  I had originally planned to go in a few days but now I was in a race against time.
For all my worries, it turned out to be a false alarm and I'm very proud to announce the birth of my grandson BentLee.  He was born at 3:19 Sunday afternoon, weighing 7 lb. and 10 oz.  He may quite possibly be the most beautiful baby ever born, but we all think that, don't we.  Gazing at his perfect little face I am reminded just how magnificent our Creator is; such careful design our Father puts into designing each one of us.  Though my grandson looks just like his father did 26 years ago, he will be his own unique self as each of us are.

For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from You 
when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.  How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God!  How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake, I am still with You. - Psalm 139:13-18

Like the Psalmist, I too marvel at the vastness of our God's thoughts.  I am amazed at His intricate planning of each and every one of us, giving us different gifts and putting within us the ability to have a relationship with Him.  I can't imagine the intelligence it would take to create the universe, every law of physics, every star in the sky, every plant, every animal, all working together in ecological harmony.  This is the God that listens to me in the dark of the night, walks with me in the sunshine, and makes His presence known to me through the peace I feel in my heart that is unlike anything I've ever felt before.  The reason I emphasize me in this context is because next to Him, I am so small.  Yet He loves me and calls me His daughter.

And this of course how much He loves you as well.  

So what does He want from us?  A teacher of the law tested Jesus by asking Him, "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"  Jesus replied, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."- Matthew 22:36-40  At this time the people had 613 commandments to keep!
I love this verse, too:  ...And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk  humbly with your God.- Micah: 6:8

So humbly I walk next to my Father, Creator of all, and hope that you do as well.  I know many of you who come here are already walking with him but I try to remain mindful of those who don't.  If you don't know Him, He does know you and wants to have a loving relationship with you.  On the side of the blog where it lists several pages, check out the one titled Salvation.

Our lives have special moments that define us.  The birth of each child and grandchild are certainly one of them.  But the most significant one is choosing to follow God, for then we are able to pass that knowledge on to our children and grandchildren.
This week we remember the greatest events of our faith.  Our Messiah was crucified for our salvation and rose again three days later...but that's of course another post.

Until then, wishing you all blessings.

3 comments:

  1. I tried the link but for some reason it didn't work. If you will post the link again I will try again. Thanks and God bless.

    ReplyDelete