Thursday, March 15, 2012

What is Man, That You Are Mindful of Him?


 When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.-Psalm 8:3-5

The other day as I was driving, I saw the most beautiful sunset. I had just read this verse this morning, so it was fresh in my mind and I pulled over to watch. The sun was a vibrant orange as it sank over the horizon, painting the clouds with with such gorgeous shades of color; gold, red, fuchsia. 


I spent some time praising God for the beauty that He creates, and I was reminded of the pictures recently taken by the Hubble. I marveled at the gigantic swirling clouds of colorful galaxies that are simply the work of my Father's fingers. Sometimes I feel in such awe that I wonder as the psalmist said, “what is man that you are mindful of him?” Looking at the vastness of our universe can make me feel quite small and insignificant. But our Father reassures us that we are “crowned with glory and honor” through the cleansing blood of Jesus.  Throughout God's Word we are assured that God loves us and we are significant to Him. What an honor!  How blessed we are that our great and awesome God cares intimately for us, even knowing the number of hairs on our heads.


Prayer: Father, thank you for the beauty that you created and for being mindful of us and our problems.


















2 comments: