Sunday, February 12, 2012

Passing it on


And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.-Matthew 10:42

Remember when it became popular to do random acts of kindness?  It's a wonderful idea.  In fact, my pastor exhorts us to do at least one thing each day for someone as the Spirit prompts us.  Last week, when I had someone in the hospital that I was really worried for, a woman came out of the chapel and stood next to me by the elevator.  I could tell that she'd been crying.  I struggled with myself, because I didn't want to intrude, but I turned to her and asked softly if she was okay.  When she turned her face toward me, I could see a bit of relief; she did want to talk.  She told me that her aunt was dying, and she'd be gone in a few hours at most.  I listened to her story all the way up to her floor, and prayed for her and her aunt to have peace and comfort.  In the end I felt blessed to be able to be there, if only briefly.
My pastor has a lot of ideas of things we can do for people.  One that has really caught on is to pay an extra ten or twenty dollars if you can afford it towards the person behind you in a fast food drive through. This makes it totally anonymous, because you're gone by the time they find out about it.  So many people were doing this there was an article in our local paper!
The Spirit will prompt you.  I challenge you to step out in faith and do those acts of kindness, and don't be afraid to share your faith.  The world is starving for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment