Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Servant's Heart



As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parent sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.”
Jesus made some mud from his saliva and sent the man to wash in the pool of Siloam. After he washed, his sight was restored.-John 9:3

So many times I've had unbelievers ask me why God would create people who suffer with diseases and serious disabilities. I think this text is one of the best answers; so that the work of God might be displayed in their lives as well as our own. Sometimes God uses people like this man in the story to show His healing power, but when we care for the sick, the blind, and the helpless, the power of God also changes us. When I worked as a nurse, I saw that we learned patience, kindness, and perseverance when we cared for others. In doing these things we develop the heart of a servant, and God is able to work through us, displaying His power in both others and ourselves.
Prayer: Father, bring people into my path that I might help, whether they are sick in body or in spirit. Use me to show your love, and create in me a servant's heart. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment